St. Joseph (Joseph City) was at the heart of the Mormon’s early efforts to establish agricultural settlements along the Little Colorado River. In early 1876, four companies were called on by Mormon leader, Joseph Smith, to make their way to the area. Before leaving for this lifelong mission, forty couples were married. The leading teams eventually selected four town sites around present-day Joseph City overcoming incredible challenges and hardships to fulfill their mission. Not long before the arrival of Route 66 in Northern Arizona, St. Joseph was renamed Joseph City at the request of the railroad.
Like so many other small Route 66 communities, Joseph City started as a quiet stop along the Route, but as World War II ended and people really began traveling, Joseph City took its place as a key stop along the Route. Once Joseph City was bypassed by the Interstate, the service stations and restaurants soon sat vacant and most disappeared long ago.Today Joseph City is home to close to 1,500 people who are proud of their pioneer heritage, and the role their community played in Route 66’s history. Be sure to visit the Old Fort Monument, get your picture taken on a welcoming rabbit, and stop for a minute to absorb the vistas, the quiet, and the beauty of the arid high desert just as the first settlers did 134 years ago.
Phone : 928-753-5001
Email : email@example.com
Address : 120 W Andy Devine Ave, Kingman, AZ 86401