Seligman

For Route 66 enthusiasts, Seligman is the heart and soul of the Route 66 travel experience. Founded in 1896 as a connecting point of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad, Seligman soon became a key stop along the line, boasting a beautiful Harvey House.   From its arrival in the late 1920s, the community of Seligman welcomed Route 66 wholeheartedly. Over the years, the railroad and tourist traffic became Seligman’s main source of economic security. Then in February 1978, Seligman was bypassed by Interstate 40 and the cars stopped coming. Just seven years later the Santa Fe Railroad eliminated its Seligman operation. Seligman used these setbacks as a catalyst to make a name for itself. In 1987, Seligman gained its name “Birthplace of Historic Route 66” due to the efforts of Seligman residents, most notably Angel Delgadillo (see below), the Seligman barber who convinced the State of Arizona to dedicate Route 66 a historic highway. This grassroots effort to bring Route 66 back not only revitalized Seligman but it also caused world-wide interest in Route 66 and the old-fashioned Americana that it represents.  

Angel Delgadillo

Angel Delgadillo

Seligman might have faded away like so many other bypassed communities, except it was home to the Angel of the Route 66, Angel Delgadillo. Angel, a barber who grew up on Route 66 believed that people were still in search of the real America. On February 18, 1987, he gathered together a group of 15 passionate individuals at the Copper Cart restaurant in Seligman, and at the end of the meeting they formed the Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona setting the rebirth of Route 66 into motion.

 

Get Your Kicks

The Original Route 66 Gift Shop

The Original Route 66 Gift Shop

As interest in the cause and Route 66 nostalgia grew, people started to want Route 66 merchandise. To support the Historic Route 66 Association, Angel and his wife, Vilma, started selling a few pieces of Route 66 memorabilia and thereby inadvertently established the first Route 66 gift shop in existence. Formerly Angel’s barber shop and pool hall, Angel, now at age 86, still opens the store every morning and is happy to visit with tourists from all over the globe.

Snow Cap Drive-in

Snow Cap Drive-in

Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In is a historic eatery and roadside attraction located along Historic Route 66. The drive-in was built in 1953 by local resident Juan Delgadillo. To bring attention to the restaurant, Delgadillo sliced the roof off of a 1936 Chevrolet hardtop, adorned the automobile with paint, horns and various automotive emblems and even an artificial Christmas tree in the rear of the car.

Delgadillo's flair for showmanship extended to his menu, which still features such choices as a "cheeseburger with cheese" and "dead chicken." Be sure to order a small cone with your order!

Connect With Us

Phone : 928-753-5001

Email : nikki@historic66az.com

Address : 120 W Andy Devine Ave, Kingman, AZ 86401